Lilacs--again.


Alright, this thing was driving me absolutely nuts as I watched it dry on the shelf in my little studio. I either had to throw it away or try to fix it, and since I figured it might be something of a learning experience, I decided to try to fix it. 

And the good news is I do like it better now than I did before. I have a tendency to over-exaggerate the angle of lines when I draw, and I have a feeling that I may also have a similar tendency of over-exaggerating value contrasts in painting. So I tried to simplify the glass and bring it down to blend with the mass of the background (also brought the value of the background up). Technique-wise, I was trying to paint things into each other as opposed to right up to each other, and well, there it is. I'm still not in love with it, but it's better, or at least, closer to what I'm going for. As long as I'm making small improvements, it's alright. This may warrant another layer of paint in a few days. It's still feeling pretty nebulous.

Here's a side by side. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June