Figure Drawing


I was trying to focus a little more on line quality last night, as well as making interior indications more consistently as I went along. In the process of doing that, the accuracy of my proportions suffered. It'll all come together one of these days, ha :P 

I seem to always want to put those shoulders too high. I think I need to find a more salient spot to pull over. The shoulders are usually a fairly sloped plane--I think I have a hard time deciding where to pull a line from, so maybe I try to average the height of where those shoulders come in instead? Or perhaps just go for the spot where the shoulder meets the neck, but lay it in at the wrong place? I don't know. Whatever I'm doing, it's not working. So next time, I will try to find a more obvious spot on that shoulder plane to draw in, try to be really specific about it, and see if that helps--even just a clavicle or something would probably help--but I guess that remains to be seen. There was also some trouble with the torso to leg ratio that I started correcting in the last few minutes. The knees are in the right place now, but I didn't quite get to the feet before the time was up. So, headless and footless he'll stay ;)

Comments

  1. Hi Stacy, a lot of "where to place something" on the figure comes down to anatomy. The first shoulder line placed in our method goes from where the collar bone meets the sillouette on one side of the body to the next. On the sillouette it shows as a slight Change of plane (line angle) on each shoulder. And that's where you draw your line. To check if you have placed the shoulder too high, you can look at where you need to place the infraclavicular fossa and see if that distant to the form shadow edge of the corresponding breast was too large, and compare it with the width of the neck. All these would come together as you do more drawings from life, and look at how far you've come in just half a year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June