Spring is Here!

It was 78 degrees the other day, and I have to say, it was quite a shock to my system--I guess I just don't know how to not be cold after this eternal winter :)


As far as art goes, my mantra this year has been to paint small and often, taking all the pressure off of the process and the outcomes. Sometimes I have these grand ambitions for painting, and dive into some overwhelming project head first. I'm not saying this is bad. It's not. It's an excellent thing to do, and makes returning to the simpler work so gratifying and liberating.


However, it is possible to get burnt out, and I think that's what happened with me last year. I spent much too long laboring over a massive canvas that in the end, I felt less than confident about. And honestly, in my little heart of hearts, it felt like a waste of a year. Not that it was. It wasn't. It just felt that way.


All this to say, I'm having fun with my painting these days. Painting when I feel like painting. Doing something else when I don't. Not fretting about selling, growing my audience, winning competitions, or any of that jazz.


Something I've learned about creative work is that it ebbs and flows, and really just can't be forced. So I'm trying to lean into that rhythm. Show up every day and give it a go, but rest if I don't feel the pull. Interesting enough, I've found sometimes I do my best painting when I haven't painted for a while, saving up all that creative energy, which bursts forth all at once.


Here are a couple examples of my quick alla prima work as of late. Self portraits have been a big thing, because, well, I'm always here ;) Hope everyone is having a happy spring. Feel free to reach out to me to talk art, commissions, whatever. I'm always just a message away :)


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

June