Structure class


3-hour drawing from structure class. I sat on a drawing horse last night because I thought the angle was really nice from there, but not being able to back up made it harder to see the proportions correctly. I think I may finally be starting to capture the gesture here (3 hours feels like a long time to get the gesture down, but approaching it comparatively/structurally on a larger scale still takes me a little longer). Those curly designs on the right are indicating the design of a Raphael painting, illustrating how he uses the human body as an ornamental element of design (and there is potentially a similar movement in this pose). 

I've also been encouraged to start doing some master copies from artists who appeared to just have fun with mark making. It seems I am moving forward somewhat mechanically and not allowing myself the freedom to have fun with it (which I would agree with). Marching vs. strutting. Maintaining the accuracy (which is an important element of drawing for me--I want to be able to capture a striking likeness), but putting a little more of myself into it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June