Long Pose #5


I kept wondering why I was feeling so far behind on this drawing. Then yesterday after the pose ended I started counting up all the hours I was actually present for the pose, and realized it was less than half, 23 of the 48 hours. It's hard not to compare my work to the students who have been there for most of those 48 hours, but it's really not a fair comparison (and I've realized I'm not much of a fan of comparisons during critiques either--case in point, the portrait below that I hastily wiped out following one such critique. Not saying I mind someone pointing out good points in others' drawings, just the direct comparison can be a little painful).

The portrait I wiped out was probably a little better imho (which makes sense, since I spent a LOT longer on it--even though I attempted to make suggested corrections in my second attempt, mostly lifting the eyes a bit), but that's a moot point now. What I like about this drawing is that it feels like a solidly planted gesture. She really looks like she's relaxing into that chair (and she was). I think the proportions and shapes, in general, are pretty good (though I could have used some more time to refine those hands, feet, and oh, that nose! such a tricky angle and subtle variation of value on that nose). The value structure is okay, but the whole thing still just feels a little unfinished and messy to me. But I didn't give up. In the end, I was the last man standing for about 45 minutes of the final session, and I was just about ready to tell the model to go home, but I stuck it out to the bitter end, and perhaps that counts for something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June