Structure class



4 week (12 hour) drawing from structure class.  It seems like I was able to get a little bit farther this time than I have in the past so maybe I'm getting more familiar with the approach.  I don't mind this drawing too much, and I think what I like about it is that even though it doesn't look just like the model, the gesture feels like it works together and has a nice rhythm. It would have been nice to have another session or two with this pose so I could refine things more, but I may still fiddle with it some at home.

I was trying to add the value in broad planes and then pick the highlights out, which was actually a lot easier to get the feel for with the col-erase than it seems to be with charcoal--just easier to control what goes onto the page in the first place. The face on my drawing got smudged on the way home, and I attempted a quick fix but it's not looking great. The portrait doesn't look much like the model either--with only 12 hours you have to pick your battles...

One of the instructors mentioned tonight that at a certain point, you have to quit being a servant to what you see in the model, start to look at what your drawing needs, and work within the drawing to bring it to a finish--it will tell you what it needs. I think I've gotten to that place with paintings before, where it's really no longer all that helpful to look at the reference, and you just have to add a little of this color here, soften an edge there, etc., to tie things together. But I don't think I've done that as much with drawings. It's a good thing to keep in mind (and maybe I just don't often get to a place where I'm getting that close to a finish with these drawings from life, ha).

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June