Starting the Eye of David


Very rough block-in of this cast (maybe almost an hour?). This is my first cast drawing, and I was having some trouble setting it up. I have a feeling that I started it all wrong... I'm half expecting to be told to start over, and if so, it's fine.

I started out straight sight-size, but the drawing was going to be so small it seemed like rendering all the little shapes in charcoal would be a major pain. So I just drew the top/bottom lines in at life size. I can back up quite a ways and get it to fit sight size, so it might work alright. I don't know. It's kind of weird because the cast is in the back of the shadow box, and if I push my easel up closer, the easel will be in shadow, but if the easel is pulled forward into the light the cast becomes that much smaller in my field of vision... I'm thinking I'll have to do more comparative measuring with this one because even if you do get it into sight size, the measurements will be so small from that far back, they will be far from accurate. Should be interesting... Of course, since I drew it in life size, I should be able to measure straight from the cast, right? Maybe. I'll have to try it. I guess there's not just one way to do things, but this seems pretty different from what I'm used to.

Sometimes the song from this little cartoon I watched as a kid pops into my head when I'm doing this stuff...
"Oh, you don't know what you're doing..."

;)

Comments

  1. It's really not too hard to learn measuring. You just have to practice and your eyes will become more sensitive to proportions. But you will feel much free and confident in your work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree--definitely something that is learned through a lot of practice. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June