San Diego Museum of Art

I guess I haven't gotten around to posting my iPhone photos from the San Diego Museum of Art in March. I had hoped to get to the Getty and maybe the Lipking show while in CA, but unfortunately the traffic getting to LA was terrible (and even worse once we got there) and the kids couldn't take another 90 miles through LA traffic. But I did get to the Timken and SDMA, so that was nice :)

Joaquin Sorolla. I've read he painted furiously, and that people would cry when they saw him painting in person. The whites on that dress are so beautiful. Also, he painted on HUGE canvases on location.


Bouguereau - I came back to it a few times to look at the masterful handling of that paint. The pictures don't do it justice at all. Sometimes I think I should put earplugs in when I'm in a museum, because once in a while I get a little perturbed when people walk up to a painting like this and say things like, "Huh, I guess he technically did a good job, I mean, if that's what you're going for." Or, "Well, that's kind of pretty." Ha. Anyway, people can think what they want about art. It's fine.




Tintoretto! I love this portrait of a Venetian man. So timeless. 

 Frans Hals. This is a tiny (maybe 6x6"?) little painting.

Van Dyck


Pompeo Girolamo Buitoni - I just can't imagine the hours it would take to paint that lace. Wowza. 

Thomas Gainsborough 

Marie Guillemine Benoist. I always get excited when I see paintings from female artists hanging in museums :)

Peter Paul Rubens 


Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres. I'm guessing the width of that wrist was intentional to emphasize the subject's masculinity, but it's a little distracting to me. Idealized I suppose (if bicep-thick wrists are indeed ideal? ;).

Veronese

Rachel Ruysch (another woman!).


Floris Gerritsz van Schooten. These Flemish paintings were pretty cool.



Jacob van Hulsdonck


The etchings! I was completely entranced by these. The tiny, delicate lines of engraving are just amazing. And the way they follow the forms is magical.

 Albrecht Durer


 Hendrick Goltzius


Edgar Degas, I believe 

 Jacob Matham

Jacob Matham. This one, especially--how he followed the contours to describe the form!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June