Yellow Rose


You know I won't be able to leave the yellow alone until I feel it hasn't licked me (so expect some more yellow flowers ;), but this one felt better than the lilies (simpler shape, for one). The background got a little out of control, but that's okay. I can always try again. The water mixable oil in burnt umber tends to come out really sticky, and if I don't mix it with a little more oil right away it gets all clumpy and uneven, and that's how this background started (I was just going to do a light wash with a mix of burnt umber and a couple other colors), but then I just had to keep adding more to camouflage the clumpy-ness, and there you have it--solid burnt umber background, ha. how boring :) The major difference I've noticed between water mixable and regular oil paint is that the water mixable doesn't thin as well with water as regular oils do with solvent. So it's harder to do a nice light wash of color to tone the canvas if you so desire (which I usually do--I kind of like to get rid of the white right away). Anyway, that's all for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June