Rose

6x4", water mixable oil on linen panel

Yesterday was a long day. I guess the problem was that I was trying to get a few things done. We were having dinner guests, so I was trying to clean up a bit. We had to make a run to the grocery store. And I needed to make some dinner preparations throughout the day. Which doesn't sound like all that much to get done, but seriously. If ever there is something I have to accomplish during the day aside from playing the constant entertainer and referee... well, it can be a little frustrating. Anyway, the evening went much better than the rest of the day, and while my husband got the kids off to bed, I painted this little rose. Somehow, doing something artistic usually makes my world feel a little more rosy--clearly not all the time, but most the time ;) 

I've been experimenting a little bit with varying levels of paint thickness on the canvas.  I think it makes the surface more interesting. When we were in San Diego last fall, I couldn't stop staring at the feet of this Bouguereau peasant girl (someone please tell me how to pronounce that name--Bo go ro, Boo goo ro, Bo goo ro, I dunno, ha!). The variety in the way he put the paint on is something I wasn't really used to seeing. But I liked it a lot (sorry, bad photo. the lighting was super dim :)


Well, taking lessons from this guy is a bit of a high order, but for the sake of reminding myself that I am making progress, here's a rose I painted in October, compared with last night, ha ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June