Des Pêches

5x7", water mixable oil on linen panel

I took a little bit of French in Jr. High and High School, and the names of a few different fruits (along with how to ask if I could use the restroom, and say a few very important phrases, such as "I like to dance") are the only things I remember from those hours of my life. So I figure I might as well pull that very useful information out of the recesses of my brain once in a while, if only to come up with something a little more interesting than "peaches" for a title to this post ;)

I had fully intended to paint in Montana. I lugged my backpack full of paints and easel there and back, and didn't pull them out once--not once! I used to bring homework on trips, and it never got done, either (hey, I get car sick if I read!). I don't like to think of painting as homework--it's much more fun. In fact, it was killing me not to paint in Montana. Everywhere I looked, there was a painting just screaming to be brought to life. Now I can see why I've always had this overwhelming urge to paint. I grew up in one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see. If you don't believe me, just go there. Do it. Just go. Glacier National Park has some of the most unbelievable scenery an outdoor painter could ever wish for. I promise. Also the stretch of highway along the Gallatin River between Bozeman and West Yellowstone, and of course Red Lodge and the Beartooth Pass. Sigh...

Anyway, the week proved to be much too busy for painting, between spending time with immediate family, cousins, grandparents, etc.; getting ready for the wedding (my family did nearly everything themselves--from the flowers and dinner to setup and cleanup) and chasing my two year old around my parents' expansive yard (people have space in Montana!). There just wasn't time. You have to make space in your life to create, and it just wasn't happening this week. But it's alright--next time. I did stop by Montana Gallery in downtown Billings, and the owner Tyler kindly showed me around and pulled out some nice studies by Josh Clare and Daniel Keys, in addition to some really nice larger works hanging on the gallery walls. That was fun. So at least I didn't go the whole week without so much as looking at art :)

But enough about Montana--back to this quick little study of a few peaches that half-survived in the drawer of the fridge while we were away. They might make an okay smoothie later :P And I don't have much to say about the painting except that it was quick, and I haven't painted in a while. I get a little buzz when I smell that fresh oil paint on the palette--it's almost good to be back ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June