Figure Drawing


We had a new model last night, and she has such a sweet doe-eyed look about her--I was almost wishing I had spent the whole two hours on a portrait. But this pose is nice, too. I always like a seated pose.

I had some trouble with the shoulders (one of my typical trouble spots of late). I'm finding it's better if I work from the inside out in that area, comparing the placement of the navel, chest, and armpits with the head before trying to place the shoulders. If I try to draw the shoulders first, I seem to want to make them too high, broad and boxy (though I over-corrected a little last night and initially made them too sloped).

Anyway, this one started out a little slow (I wasn't warmed up at all, and pretty much started over after the first 20 minute session), but that's okay. I'm getting a little bit better about backtracking if I need to, instead of trying to plow through a bad start. Sometimes it's hard to throw away those 20 minutes (or whatever it may be) of my life (I'll never get them back, ha!), but so far, I've never regretted doing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June