Structure Class


My drawing from structure class, the first of three sessions. I think I'm starting to get a slightly better handle on how to set proportions this way. And I like the feeling of freedom that comes from not measuring quite as much. My sight-size drawings are more proportionally accurate, but drawing this way feels less static and more intuitive. I just need to figure out how to combine the good of both. 
I think I can, I think I can :)

My goal in this session was just to get a solid block-in down that I'd be able to quickly build on in the next two sessions. We'll see how it goes. We're encouraged to start with long, loose lines and really move around the page to help create a feeling of oneness in the drawing from the beginning. A sculptor was asked how he knew when a sculpture was finished, and he said something like "when every part connects with every other part" (I'm probably totally botching the quote). But every part has to fit into the whole and feel like it belongs. Also, focus on finding the dynamic parts of the pose and capitalizing on them to improve the drawing. Like if there's an option to draw something turning away, then turn it away to create more interest. And I need to think more about the reason behind the lines I put down from the beginning. Draw them with purpose, following the plane changes of the body (more 3D and structural thinking vs flat visual appearances).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June