Speed Sketching


Speed sketching seems to be all I have time for lately (apart from all that Bargue drawing at the studio). Winter is pretty brutal with little kids. They don't want to go outside, they're bored inside, and I don't like going to places where kids show up in mass, because we already have a constant cold as it is. I'm doing all I can to keep these guys occupied. Which means speed sketching for me it is.

Each of these is somewhere in the vicinity of 5-10 seconds. It's pretty crazy trying to chase the gestures of little kids. They don't stay still, even for 5 seconds. Most of these end up being almost instant memory drawings. But I think it's a good exercise anyway.

I was looking at some Rembrandt drawings recently, and I was surprised by how gestural and cartoony they are, considering his paintings can be so refined. It was probably quite vital to draw gestures before photography came about. That was the only way of capturing a particular moment or pose--quickly and without a lot of fuss.

Here are a few Rembrandt drawings--images from a quick Google search.

Image result for rembrandt gesture drawings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June