Sargent copy in progress


I think I'm getting pretty close to saying "done" on this copy. I might make one more pass after this layer dries to soften some transitions and make a few temperature corrections and such. But that's a maybe. I don't know. I'm kind of ready to move on to something else, I think. This has been a really good learning experience. But again, I feel like painting is about 97% drawing. Especially when copying something like this. The drawing has to be pretty close, and that's what I've spent most my time on. But I've been working through some issues with the color on this one too. I was at a drawing session a few weeks back. This was taped up on my board and one of the artists mentioned how much more yellow my print was than the original (he had seen it in person), and that the skin tones in the original seemed to be very simple pinks (I've looked up a few images online, and the one I'm copying from seems much darker than some others too, but I didn't try to correct that). So I've been trying to simplify the major masses of skin tone and de-yellow the mix (which isn't really very visible in the photo, but in person it's a pretty marked difference between the two). Anyway, Elizabeth Winthrop Chanler after Sargent. Maybe, possibly, almost finished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June