Another hour or so on this long pose


I was in Arizona all last week. It's a great place to visit when it's snowing buckets at home.  But I've missed being at the atelier during the day (enough passenger seat torso sketching already! ha). So when we pulled into the garage yesterday, I turned right around and was immediately out the door, ready to catch the last half of the model session before the weekend.

When I got there, the umbrella light had been placed so that it was directly blocking the entire head from my view. Once we got that sorted out, I realized the portrait had been turned to the right, and there had been some subtle shifts in the way the model had settled into the pose (and maybe even some slight movement of the stand?). Which left me thinking, "Hm, this drawing doesn't look much like the model in front of me." But I suppose that's to be expected when you miss a whole week--you miss making those subtle changes as they occur and it all adds up to a pretty different picture :P. 

It would probably be wise to start over. Or quit and go work on another Bargue for a while. But seeing as how I'm sort of a determined little soul, I'll probably just press on. Re-establishing the angles on the existing drawing feels a little harder than starting fresh. When something's on the page already, it's harder to boldly make changes, and when you're feeling less bold, the drawing starts to feel a little finicky. So I'm fiddling with a lot of subtle line shifts to re-find the contour (while trying to keep an eye on the major angles--global thinking that is still a struggle for me). 

Also feeling like the head may be a little small, so I was starting in on trying to make a little more room in the neck/shoulder area right before the session ended. So, that's that. I hope I can pull things together in the next couple weeks. Even a decent line drawing would be fine. I just want everything that I put in the drawing to be right on. That's not too much to ask of myself, right? Ha ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June