Attempting a portrait copy after Sargent...


Well, happy holidays! I took a break from the internet and social media train for a couple days over the weekend, and that was nice. Started working on this portrait copy...and it's not going too well, ha. There are a lot of balls to juggle here. I probably should have drawn this thing out more carefully before just throwing paint up on the canvas, but I didn't (I drew with the paint--I'd like to be able to paint people from life, and get it right. But maybe I still need a little scaffolding ;). So I'm trying to correct the drawing (let's see how many errors you find in this drawing? fun game!) at the same time as trying to mix those  flesh tones (also not going too well, ha). 

What a mess. I feel like this blog is becoming a series of unfortunate attempts. Sorry, readers. I'm definitely not sticking to my comfort zones lately. Oh well. I remember the first time I tried to paint a landscape, I immediately decided I couldn't paint landscapes (and didn't attempt one again for a loooong time). That was a stupid conclusion after one attempt. And I can probably count on one hand the number of oil paintings in which I have attempted a portrait. So it's decided. I'm not giving up. But I just might scrap this one and start over--unless I feel like trying to hash it out more later. Maybe I will. But maybe I won't. Ha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June