Another sketcha copy


This guy Tony Sketcha (on Instagram) just kills me with his figures. Some people are so good at stuff :) And imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?

I'm not being all that careful about getting the drawing exact here. Just more interested in his description of light and form on the figure. It's so simple yet descriptive. There's a lot of variety in his line--there aren't a lot of long straight lines. They're very specific to the contour. And he softens the line that divides light from dark with some perpendicular hatching that works nicely. Anyway, this was a pretty quick copy, 30-45 minutes or so. But this to say, I'm still here.

I don't know if I've been too busy to post here (probably) or that I'm just pulling back a bit (another probably) lately. I had this dream a month or two ago that I was walking across a soft cork floor, watching my feet with each step. I looked up and realized I was standing on an empty stage in an empty auditorium, stage lights on and everything. No one was around, and I figured I might as well dance. So I danced (I grew up dancing so it wasn't that weird of a dream--except for the cork floor. maybe something about a soft place to land?). Anyway, I woke with a start, realizing that sometimes it's nice to dance without an audience.

I almost decided to quit the whole blogging thing altogether after that dream, but I figure I'll keep it going periodically, if not quite as regularly as I was doing for a while. It's nice to be able to look back at the progress I'm making on days when it all feels a little overwhelming.

Anyway, here's a side-by-side, so you can see just how off my initial eyeballing of this copy really is :) I'd go in and whittle it down to a better copy, but that's not really what I'm after at the moment and I don't want to spend the time (I'm getting enough of that on that new Bargue, ha!). But if I don't measure much, I always make things too wide, which I definitely did here throughout the whole drawing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June