Thoughts on Van Gogh

image from the Met's online collection

I've always had such a fondness for Van Gogh--occasionally I need a good dose of his paintings. I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't share my affinity for this artist (though there are surely many more who do, based on his popularity). His drawing is poor (if you don't believe me, look at his paintings of people), his ability to express form is lacking, and his shapes are generally quite flat and outlined in cartoon style (which is actually kind of charming, but from what I understand, most of his contemporaries were appalled by his work). And yet, I can't help but love it. His colors can be really stunning--and there's just something so personal and alive about the way he applies that paint. His iris paintings are some of my favorites.

He was a melancholy soul, Van Gogh, and some days, I can relate on some level (can't we all?). Maybe that's a large part of what makes him so appealing. He unearths this twisting, turbulent inner world that we all inhabit at times. He didn't paint the stars to faithfully reproduce the stars--he painted the stars to show us how he felt about the stars--how they moved him. And I, personally, am very fond of his interpretations.

"Starry Night Over the Rhone", image from wikipedia
I've never wanted to paint like Vincent. I'd rather not paint like anyone but myself (okay, maybe I'd paint like Sargent--if I had to ;). But I really do believe that the only way to set that individual self free, is to master what is most difficult--to overcome as many weaknesses as possible. But it's difficult, draining, and discouraging at times. Sometimes I just feel like throwing in the towel, and saying, "Enough, I'm done!" Aren't there enough people in the world already who can paint? What can I possibly add? How long will it take me to get there? And will it be worth it? Art is risky business. There are no guarantees, and generally speaking, I'm really not much of a risk taker.

I've pretty well made up my mind about what I want. But I guess what I'm saying is, there's this spectrum of artistic expression--Van Gogh was on one side of this representational art spectrum, where he sacrificed accurate representation for the emotive quality--whether that decision was based on ability or not doesn't really matter to me. He represents that certain something in art that just can't always be explained--the "je ne sais quoi". On the other hand, you have things like copy drawings of Bargue plates (ha!), which have very accurate expression of solid form, but little to no emotive quality in their high level of finish. I guess the trick is to eventually find some harmonious spot in that continuum where personal artistic vision can sing...

Some Van Gogh quotes:

"If you hear a voice inside you say, 'you cannot paint,' then, by all means, paint, and that voice will be silenced." (this is so much wiser than it seems)

"Normality is a paved road. It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow."

"What is done in love is done well."

"I saw all the people behind their masks. I saw through them and there was suffering."

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together."

"The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but take heart, it will turn out alright."

"I feel there is nothing more artistic than loving people."

"Art is to console those who are broken by life."

"The way to know life is to love many things."

"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream."

On another note, I've seriously been considering taking this blog down indefinitely in the near future. I think I need to cocoon for a while. I'll keep my Instagram account, so you can still find me there (@stacyminch). To all the 20 or so people who appear to check this blog on a daily basis, thanks for following along. I appreciate the fact that anyone finds my artistic journey interesting, and wish you all the best (whoever you are!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June