Eye of David cast progress


I spent a few hours working on this cast this afternoon. It was a stormy day and the light was changing a lot. I mostly worked on the upper brow area. It's hard to see how all those forms come together under the brow, especially when I back up--as you can see in the photo the darker values all blur into a big blobby mass from farther back. And then when I'm up close, the angle I view the cast from doesn't match the drawing. So I can get closer to the cast and line the plumb up in the right spot and try to memorize where things should overlap/meet, but I have to commit it to memory and then head back over to my drawing and quickly try to get it down. I guess what I'm saying is I can't stand at my drawing and look at the reference. It's all a memory game, which is a little bit difficult. But I'm trying. The eye needs some work. First it was too small, and now I think I may have overcorrected and made it too big. I probably need to pull in some of the contours a bit. So time to really dig in and refine. Honestly, it's hard to motivate myself on this thing because it just doesn't draw me in, but I'll keep pushing myself through (and keep those audiobooks going to distract me from the tedium ;). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June