Ranunculus

5x7"

This is just a quick 45-minute sketch of a ranunculus I picked up at the grocery store this morning (keep me away from that floral section! ;). When I bought it, it was all curled up, but magically opened up in the warm car on the drive home. I preferred the shape partially-closed, but I'm hoping it might close back up overnight... if not, there's another tiny bud that I assume will eventually bloom. The colors are so vibrant and beautiful, though!

I've started using more of a reductive drawing process for starting floral sketches. I like some tone in the background, but I don't like it where the petals will be--it muddies the color. And drawing with a thinned brown or gray paint does the same thing. So I draw with my paper towel, and it's just kind of fun and fast. Anyway, I've got my eyes set on a few more master copies that will guide me in the direction of pulling it into a tighter finish when that's what I want. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June