Speed sketch in watercolor


Watercolor is such a tricky medium to work in, especially if you have to work quickly--everything bleeds into everything else. Which is why I'm so in awe of Sargent's watercolors. They are incredible. It appears he worked quite quickly on location on many of them, and was able to control the medium much better than I did here (ha!). I'm a little rusty with the watercolors anyway (though I can't say I ever had a great command of them). But now that I'm used to oil painting (which I can be very lazy about--it'll sit in the same spot you put it till it dries), I think I'm less adept at handling what this fluid medium is going to do. Anyway, watercolors are just so much more convenient than oils. I'd like to get a little more proficient at using them, and practice would be the way to do it (though there are so many things I want to do right now).

"You can't do sketches enough. Sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh." -Sargent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June