Ian, round two


We had another session with Ian last night, and I attempted to correct the proportions in the face. The proportions may be better, but there's something uncomfortable about the drawing to me now--feels slightly overworked. I'm not saying it's super terrible or anything, but it's difficult to change proportions after putting as much value down as I had. I think I really have to nail those proportions in the initial block-in to get the quality I'm looking for in my drawing. I had some issues with all the features feeling a little too short, and probably what was going on was that I made everything too wide (which is my most common error), and it made everything feel too stubby.

Yesterday was another one of those discouraging days--not for any particular reason. My drawings are going fine, things are fine. I think I'm just a little too aware of how much work there is between me and where I want to be (and how difficult it is to fit it all in). It can seem like a pretty daunting mountain to climb sometimes. 

I was reading Edouard Lanteri's book during model breaks yesterday and I like what he says about discouragement. It was pretty timely (can't quote it exactly because I left the book at school). He says something along the lines that discouragement only means you have been awakened to a deeper appreciation for the beauty of reality--and only those who face it will move forward--too much satisfaction with your work is dangerous. I guess that's good news for me, because I'm certainly difficult to please when it comes to my creations. But I do hope eventually I get to a place where I'm a little more happy with my efforts than I am now. I think I will. It's just that I have such high hopes :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June