First few hours of February's long pose


I'm about 5 hours in on this drawing, and there are plenty of issues I need to work through. It took me a while to place that hanging arm, because where I'm standing, the slightest movement really changes the foreshortening and it was difficult to get it in place--I'm sure it will need a little more nudging. The head's not at all right at the moment, but I like it tilted down, and one of the other students was working on the portrait with the head tilted up today, so I didn't get a chance to work that area of the drawing. 

I started with a chief line, and sort of combined the approaches of the two different schools of thought I've been learning. But I had some issues with the rhythm--I made the mistake of breaking the lines up too much, seeing too much detail early on, and over-exaggerating the small undulations of the contour (which isn't an uncommon problem for me. I want to make the beginner's mistake of moving from form to form instead of seeing and connecting the whole picture). 

I don't believe my errors are a result of this or that school of thought, or confusing the two--it's just the result me not having drawn all that much, especially at this size. Seeing those sweeping rhythms isn't incredibly intuitive for me at this point--believe me, I know it. And sometimes I feel like rhythm is a little harder to see working sight-size, because I feel constrained to work within very precise parameters, and it makes me a little tight in my drawing. I'm probably getting  more consistent with seeing the rhythm in my little 7x10" two-hour sketches, but I think it's easier to visualize that sweeping movement on a small scale. This is my fourth long pose, and simplifying on a larger surface is more difficult, because it's that much more possible to see and include more detail.

Anyway, after the first week, I'm on track for another 20 hour drawing here. Wish I could fit more in, but the model's schedule is really weird this time around and my sitter schedule isn't terribly flexible (though I have it set up so I could do a 36 hour drawing in a normal month)--so better luck next month. I do occasionally have to remind myself of the time drought I'm working under--it can be a little demoralizing to see my drawing up in its early stages next to the full time students' work--an extra 6-7 hours in the first week would make a difference, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June