Works in progress at the studio

These are low-light studio shots, but a lot of my creative time has been spent here lately. I have a few things going right now--a portrait, an extended figure pose, and my Bargue drawing (which I forgot to take a picture of). I actually think I'm getting pretty close to finishing that Bargue (knock on wood).

On the first night of this portrait (right), the head got tilted after I blocked it in, so I started over the next time the model came in. I decided to switch over to pencil after the first attempt, since it's just more familiar and I knew I would only have two sessions on it.


This is my current extended figure drawing (along with some GCA inspiration on the right of my board--Colleen Barry drawing up top, and Kevin Muller Cisneros on the bottom, and some drawing guidelines from Colleen in the middle there :). This is extended figure #2 for me, and there is so much yet to learn, yikes. I've had a bout 27 hours on this one so far. I mostly worked the head/shoulder area yesterday, and I'm feeling a little bit better about it now. That's always a relief. Sometimes you (I) continue to work something, and it just gets worse and worse, ha! I was moving down that arm on the left, too, trying to refine the shape. It was really off, and I had adjusted things to make it feel "right" (to me) in the drawing, but it wasn't what was there. I think I may have gotten a little dark on that upper arm there. I'll have to reassess that next time (could also be that the camera bumped up the contrast. it does that sometimes). Our instructor is out of town this week, and in some ways that's a little bit freeing, but in others it's a little bit frightening. I'll try to be good and remember what I'm supposed to do, but mostly I'm just going on my gut right now, trying to finish/refine what I've got (whatever that means--finishing is not my forte at this point).


And this is nothing too interesting. Just a 15-minute figure start from the other night, but he was hanging around my studio board too, so didn't want to leave the poor guy out ;)

Also, I was listening to some of my high school-era music as I drew yesterday, and was really liking the lyrics of this song from Jimmy Eat World (they have nothing to do with art, but I found them applicable):

"It just takes some time, little girl, 
you're in the middle of the ride. 
Everything, everything will be just fine. 
Everything, everything, 
will be alright, alright." 
(The Middle--good song)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June