Figure Drawing


Last night's figure. We haven't had a male figure model for a while, and it was a little tricky to get his proportions down (one of the other students laughed out loud when I mentioned that, but I'm serious, ha). After a while, you start to get a mental representation of the proportions in a figure, and not having drawn a male figure for a while, I think my mental rubric was just a little rusty. I spent a while chasing this pose too. This guy was trying to relax into one hip, but it ended up being more of a whole body lean, which shifted quite a bit.

I've been reading a few Steven Pressfield books lately--The War of Art, Do the Work, and now Turning Pro. He talks about any artistic pursuit (or pursuit of a dream) as being a war, in that there are always multiple levels of resistance you're working against. And isn't that true? Resistance from society and circumstance, from the people around you, and most importantly, from within yourself. Artistic pursuits never make sense. They're always risky, and usually involve a lot of sacrifice in other parts of your life. There are zillions of little nuggets of wisdom, but I liked this quote I read yesterday afternoon:


Half the time I'm doing this stuff, I'm thinking, "Why?!!?? What do I think I'm doing!?!?!" But here's to giving it a shot, regardless.

Comments

  1. So true.

    The entire modern industrial society's ethics involves being functional, productive, and "useful". But art simply is not. So we are left feeling guilty everyday for pursuing such a frivolous dream. But in your case, I think you truly have a passion and you feel it as a calling. You can not breathe without it. It is part of you.

    I loved drawing growing up but never felt that I was talented enough, and never permitted myself to seriously pursue it. I took the science track and finished my ph.d. In physics, took a job in the Silicon Valley as an engineer, but could not pull myself away from it ultimately. I wish I had taken atelier training earlier. It was the best gift I gave myself. I still feel inadequate and guilty of not being productive everyday. But when I am in front of the easel these thoughts no longer bothers me. It's just me, the charcoal, the paper, and the figure in front of me. It is a great feeling and despite of the agony, a great reason to start each and everyday.

    I know you love this and I want to say: there is a point. You cannot suppress or resist the fundamental ways of who you are, Stacy. I am so happy you are embracing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arena. Yes, I took a different path initially too, and I actually have a master's degree in speech therapy! I enjoyed it, but you're right. Art is fundamental to who I am and I really can't not include it without feeling like something huge is missing. So I'm embracing it, and pushing myself as hard as I can. Thank you so much for your comments :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June