Work in Progress

16x20", water mixable oil on stretched canvas

I just started putting some paint on top of this underpainting yesterday. I'm using the Zorn palette (yellow ochre, cadmium red medium, ivory black, and titanium white)--which is new to me, and a challenge in itself. 

I have a long way to go here yet, but at least the drawing on Steven's face is a little better--not so squishy. I think I need to tone down and warm up the value on his face (especially the shaded part) because he's looking a little pasty. And the eyelid on the shaded side needs to be brought down as well.

I'm always getting in over my head :P, but I think that's where I learn the most. So I'm trying to look at everything I do as a learning experience and not put too much pressure on myself. I like Richard Schmid's advice that if you can see a problem, you can fix it--it's probably a problem with the drawing, value, color, or edges. So I'm going to keep that in mind as I go along. If I can see the problem, I can fix it. 
Easy, right? ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June