Underpainting

16x20", water mixable oil on stretched canvas
(Sorry for the horrible photo quality here)

Sink or swim, here I go. I'm experimenting with using a monochrome underpainting as a base layer.

I think the advantage of this method is that you can get the drawing and values worked out before focusing on color--at least that's what I remember Richard Schmid mentioning in Alla Prima. 

The only trouble is that I ran out of time before fully working out the drawing last night and now the paint has dried. So I'm left with a bit of a squishy-faced Steven to work with :/ I guess I will just have to work it out with color, but I feel like it's going to throw me off. And painting on top of dried paint is always weird for me--just haven't done much of it. I'm more used to wet on wet.

Starting a new painting always feels a bit like plunging into a dark abyss. I have no idea what lies ahead or how I'll get through it. But I just keep coming back for more, gah! Glutton for punishment. 

"Let your faith be greater than your fear."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June