Figure Drawing



This one went okay, but for some reason, I almost always seem to have trouble with the shoulders on these figure studies. I'm guessing it must have something to do with my mental image of what shoulders should look like (perhaps a hanger?), which doesn't usually translate to real world appearances.

Anyway, I made the shoulder on the left too wide, and after the instructor pointed it out (again, ha), I made a frantic last-ditch effort to correct it in the last few minutes. Which meant I also had to adjust the position of the head (which may have actually been one of the causes of the shoulder problem in the first place--all these relationships to consider when drawing the figure! I was gauging the angle of the shoulder from the back of the head, which was too far back, I think).

In any case, better to backtrack, simplify, and get it right. Logically, it's sound theory and I agree with it completely, but I think it's something I'm going to just have to keep learning by doing--erasing large chunks of your drawing doesn't always seem like a great idea when you're in the middle of it :P But looking at the drawing now, and even though it may still be a bit off, those little adjustments made a big difference in the naturalness of the gesture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June