On falling.

“There is freedom waiting for you,
On the breezes of the sky,
And you ask "What if I fall?"
Oh but my darling,
What if you fly?” 
― Erin Hanson


I almost distinctly remember the time that I decided I just could not be an artist. It was about 12 years ago on a cold and unbelievably-windy November day in Chicago. I was 18, and I had spent an entire day wandering the galleries at the Art Institute of Chicago's art museum. It was the best day, really. I remember standing in front of beautiful painting after beautiful painting, just staring at brushstrokes--I had never seen real paintings up close like that before, and I could feel them--I could see the artist at work there, and it was almost mind-blowing. I was completely overwhelmed. I wanted to soak it all in. I wanted to be a part of it. But there was this pervasive thought that kept running through my mind: "I could never do this."

I wonder, now, why that thought--"I could never do this"--was the overarching theme I drew from that experience? I've read accounts of other artists who had a similar experience, but came away from it with a vastly different conclusion, namely, "I'm going to do this." I wonder--why wasn't I inspired by all that great artwork? No one around me had ever been anything but supportive. Why did I write myself off so easily?

I think the answer is fear. The dream was just too real, too close to my heart, too vulnerable--I couldn't let it out. It was too risky. What if I tried my hardest and never achieved what I was reaching for? I told myself it wasn't worth the effort, that it wasn't my fault, that I just didn't have enough talent, that I'd never make it. But that, of course, it was okay to keep doing it... just for fun.

That reasoning worked for me for a while. It really did. But it's hard to make much improvement at something while doing it occasionally, just for fun. And there came a time when I realized that if I didn't chase this dream, I would reach the end of my life with one deep regret--that I hadn't tried. 

In all honesty, it's incredibly scary to say what you want and really mean it--authenticity breeds vulnerability, and opens up so much more potential for pain and heartache. But once I reached that point of realization, it really didn't matter anymore if it hurt. I didn't care if I fell. It didn't matter whether I ever "succeeded" at what I was doing. It didn't matter if I never came out with one decent painting in my entire lifetime. It didn't matter if I never became a "real" artist. All that mattered was that I try. Suddenly, no fall, no matter how far, could be as frightening as the thought of having never fallen at all.

So I'm falling. I know there will be stumbling, frustration, and disappointment--over and over and over again. But I'm starting to be okay with it. I used to think "flying" meant success. Nobody could have told that fiercely independent 18-year-old girl anything different (in fact, I think some people tried). But now? I think the flying comes the moment you give yourself the freedom to fall--whether or not you ever chance to meet with your preconceived notions of success.

Comments

  1. Please read landscape painting by Birge Harrison. The last few chapters especially. It's free online. Legally. Or buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks. I will do that! I think you've talked about this book before, but I'd forgotten. You'll have to remind me of that other artist you mentioned the other day too, because I've also forgotten his name, ha (started with an H, maybe?).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June