Wrapping it up

16x20", oil on stretched canvas

This little canvas was something I started in April (sorry for the weird angle/distortion--I was trying to get a shot without a lot of glare). In my opinion, the composition was way too ambitious for the depth of my experience (I mean, how many more faces, limbs, and hands could I have crammed in there? :P). And in the end, I felt there was only so far I could push it given the existing start. But I had resolved several months ago to bring it to a somewhat sensical point of existence, and this is where I believe it will stay (though I do reserve the right to change my mind ;). 

It took a while to work up the motivation to finish this, but working on this painting really has been a good learning experience. I used four colors (ivory black, titanium white, yellow ochre, and cadmium red), and that was something in itself. Simplifying the color scheme helped unify the colors (though there was no way I was going to get the color of that blue floral print on the baby's little dress--which I feel is one of the weak areas, since I sort of had to invent the purple).

Anyway, maybe I will take a better picture of it later. Or maybe not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June