Figure Drawing


I wrote a paragraph about this last night when I was pretty worked up for no particular reason. But I thought better of posting it in the moment ;) I can get a little depressive about this sometimes--the thought of doing what I want to do and actually doing it well is just really daunting. And somehow, standing at an easel working over a flailing drawing for two hours provides ample opportunity for overthinking. 

I know I shouldn't get so worked up about this stuff. It's irrational, and I know it. I'm doing fine for the amount of time I've been trying. That one semester of figure drawing when I was 16 wasn't really much prep for what I've been learning here. It's a crazy steep learning curve, so it's silly to be so hard on myself. I know that. But then, there have been other thoughts I've known were completely irrational at the time, and that knowledge didn't stop me from thinking them over and over and feeling their effects. I'm not sure what fixes that--probably being hard on myself for being hard on myself, right? Ha. Oh well.

With regard to this particular drawing, I definitely didn't capture the character of the head--I think I tried to work on different parts of it at different times and it may have been positioned slightly differently so I didn't quite get the big shapes right. And I should have placed the figure a little more left so I could fit that foot in. But it's fine. It's much better than what I was doing six months ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June