Figure Drawing


Maybe I ingested a little too much sugar and campfire smoke this weekend... Or maybe I hadn't touched a pencil in 5 days. Whatever the reason, this drawing was a bit of a struggle. My inner critic wants to be a monster about it, but let's just not go there. I was recently introduced to the work of Brene Brown, and I'm loving her stuff right now--she focuses on the effects of shame, and how being authentic and vulnerable is the way to overcome those feelings.

I've been forging my own journey of authenticity and soul searching the past couple years, and let me tell you, this lady is a kindred spirit. Look up her TED talks--good stuff. I think authenticity is absolutely crucial to good living, and to good art. She quoted Theodore Roosevelt at the beginning of one of her talks, and I really loved the quote:


So hush, inner critic. It's tough to chase after something that is actually deeply meaningful to you--putting yourself out there is always a risk. But what would this world be without people who were willing to dare greatly?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June