Figure Drawing

12x9", paper on pencil, 1/14/16

I decided to censor this guy a little bit for the web, because it just seemed like there really should be a fig leaf, loin cloth, or some strategically placed drapery or something there for this particular pose and angle ;)

I'm getting more used to drawing at an easel (as opposed to holding the sketchbook on my lap--which is something I want to get better at doing because I definitely paint at an easel), but I still have the tendency to make the image bigger than it should be (you can see my original sight-size tic marks on the left size of the paper, and that my completed image is quite a bit bigger than I initially plotted out). I read somewhere that when Sargent was painting the initial lines for a portrait, he would always block the head in slightly smaller than life size, to offset the tendency to draw larger than life--so I guess it's not just me who has that problem ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June