Figure Drawing

12x9", graphite on paper, 10/6/15

My drawing from last night's figure drawing session. I didn't pick a great spot--almost nothing in shadow from the angle I was viewing the model from, which was making it tricky to turn the form. And I don't know, something about the pose just seemed a little uncomfortable.

That, and I just wasn't really feeling it last night. I don't know why. Some days I look around and see all the artists out there creating great stuff, and wonder, "why do I bother?" As a busy mom of very young children, I have (maybe) an hour a day to put into this. 

I remember one of my art teachers at the college once, when he heard I was going into speech therapy, tell me: "there are some artists who go into different careers and occasionally come out with something nice. But from what I've seen, you never really get anywhere with art (career-wise) unless you do it full time." 

I think he's probably right. A person only has so much creative energy to go around. You have to have the time and discipline to keep at it if you want continue growing as an artist. And it takes so much time and effort to become a good artist. 

We seem to have this idea in our culture that artists aren't made--they are born--that great art just magically materializes from the mind of some brilliantly genius creature. And while there is most definitely truth in the notion that some people have a natural affinity for art, it doesn't change the fact that even the most gifted individuals must pour their lives into developing the skills they need to be a great artist. It doesn't just happen.

I guess I just have to keep reminding myself that my kids won't be 1 and 4 forever, and the hour a day I put into increasing my skills as an artist now will keep adding up, so that maybe by the time they are both in school, I will be ready to start working on some more serious art. 

And hey, when I'm not beating myself up for not achieving the end goal from the beginning (ha!), I really love creating art, so who cares if I never go anywhere with this stuff? At least I spent my time doing something I love :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June