Sight-size

The open figure drawing session I've been attending lately is at a small atelier nearby that teaches the classical methods of drawing and painting. The students I see there are very exact in their work and spend the full two hours mapping out a very simple line drawing of the subject, attempting at exact proportions. I've been quite interested in watching the way they draw--it's very calculated, mathematical--a form of drafting almost. 

I decided last night to try to adopt some of their methods, just to try it out. One thing I've noticed them doing is drawing "sight-size." They line their paper up on the edge of their easel, move their head so the subject is directly behind the edge of the board, and mark the exact places they see certain body landmarks falling (I cropped the edge of my papers, but on the left side of my paper I made a small tic-mark to mark where proportions should fall. Then I lightly brought those lines over to guide where certain body parts should fall on my paper. 

Here was my first attempt. I got a little impatient, and just did my usual thing with the bottom half of her body, which resulted in some extra-large feet, ha :)

In this second attempt, I tried to be more controlled, but became a little too tight, overworking the lines more than I should have, and didn't quite capture the extent of the "lean" I was seeing.

My last attempt was an improvement on the first two, I think. I got a better sense of the proportions, and the posture seems a little more natural. I'm definitely still more sketchy than I'd like to be with my drawing. I love looking at drawings by master artists, where every line seems to have been placed with 100% intention (even if it ended up being the wrong line, and the artist corrected with another line placed near it). It's that confidence of intention that I'm after. I'm sure that the only thing that can bring that sureness of hand is a lot of practice :)



Then I got tired of the sight-size (it was quite a mental workout), and decided to just play for a little while, and this little portrait sketch is what resulted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June