Green Steps, Red Shutters

7x6", water mixable oil on gessobord, 4/22/15

This is a little house I happened by while driving my daughter to preschool one day. It was so lovely--from the hedge in front, to the pink blossoming trees, and even the off-center window with only one shutter! I pulled to the side of the road to snap a photo... and here it is in paint.

Lately I'm trying anything and everything in subject matter(within representational reason, anyway). And each time I finish a painting, I learn something new about how to approach a painting. With this one, I started with a toned panel, and slowly built the paint around the little house and from dark to light. 

Maybe it changes as you go along, but from what I have learned about art so far, it doesn't seem to get easier! My ability to accomplish certain tasks gets easier, but once those are mastered, the new problems my eyes have been opened to are even harder. So I guess that's why it is so interesting and fulfilling. Each painting is a new challenge and opportunity to learn something new :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June