Tuesday Figures


This little two-hour figure felt like sweet freedom last night after laboring over that long pose for the 30th hour. Anyway, I know my line quality isn't great. But I'm getting a lot better about not needing to pull over a zillion measurements grid-style and be really meticulous about the whole sight-size thing... which I think means my natural eye for proportions is getting better. That's a good thing. And I spent longer than usual trying to hone in on that portrait, since it seems to be such a weak spot for me lately.

Here's my long pose. The portrait is getting... closer. I think. At least the eye, cheekbone, and ear feel pretty good to me. The nose/mouth still need some work. And I'm trying to work on making my mass areas look flatter (which is sort of meticulous and involves a lot of light scraping across the paper to somewhat disguise the graininess of the paper + charcoal on top of it). This in an attempt to make way for more specific and subtle value transitions where the shadows meet the light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June