This drawing is pretty personal. It's my older brother holding me when I was just days old, and he was five (also the first self portrait I've done in a while ;). This doesn't feel like the place to go into details, but this drawing is something I started in response to a difficult event in our family. I started it, left it alone for a few weeks, and decided to give it a little more time last night.

Although the subject is personal, I'm always trying to improve my drawing skills. The reference was a photograph, of course. I always have a tough time working from photographs--just because they are so static, and there's so much information to sift through. I tried to simplify, and say a lot more with the quality of line than the gradation of value masses, which is something I'm trying to figure out with regard to my drawings from life as well. I kind of liked the feel of it at this point, so I decided to quit here (though I'll probably still touch it up here and there--maybe lighten the line on the back of my brother's head. It's feeling a little heavy/harsh).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June