Figure Drawing


 My sister Jackie is in town, and she joined me for the evening figure session last night. Jackie has always been my best drawing buddy. My dad used to bring home the paper out of his recycling bin at work at the end of the day, and we would fill it all with our drawings. Mostly imagined things like mermaids and puppies and such. But I've always had an urge to just draw what I see as well. I have a drawing I did at age 6 of my mom's rocking chair. I think I drew it when she was gone for several hours one time and I was missing her. I remember crying by that rocking chair before I drew it. Let's see if I can find it... Haha, yep, here it is. I actually remember trying to draw those curved legs and being so confused. Looks like what I knew about them won out over how they actually looked in this case--funny how I'm still fighting the same battles today (my long pose figure is killing me ;) 


Here's Jackie's figure, below--not too bad for her first time ever attending a live drawing session! Her proportions are really not terrible, if you're asking me. She'd probably start showing me up in a quick minute if she applied herself--she's just one of those people who tends to excel at everything she puts her mind to. I find it interesting how it seems she has a tendency to draw small and tight. I was watching a demo video of Casey Childs drawing a portrait a few weeks ago, and he also said that he has a tendency to draw much smaller than what he intends in the beginning. I'm just the opposite. I always try to draw bigger than I should. I think I've figured my bias is about +1 on both the x and y axes, and I'm always battling that tendency. 


Anyway, wish me luck on my long pose. I get a break from it today, and hopefully tomorrow I'll feel a little bit refreshed and be able to see it with new eyes (right now, I still don't feel like I have a vision for where I'm going, so I'm just sort of going nowhere).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June