Sargent Copy - Gitana

8x10, water mixable oil on canvas panel, 2/21/16 (sorry for the glare--just couldn't find an angle that didn't have it)

I've been apprehensive to attempt a copy of a Sargent painting. He's so brilliant, and his drawings are hard enough to copy :P But I admire his skill so much, and I guess I was feeling particularly ambitious or fearless or something last night and decided to just go for it. 

I don't think I was using quite the right color mix for the skin tones--his seemed more saturated somehow (I'm thinking maybe he was using yellow ochre? versus my cadmium yellow med. It seems like ochre has some serious tinting power). One fun thing about "drawing" with paint versus pencil or charcoal is that you can manipulate the "line" from both sides, if that makes sense...

 Anyway, it was a fun experience, and I'm not totally horrified with how it came out (which I thought I probably would be). Of course it doesn't look exactly like the original, but that's not such a big surprise ;) 


And here's a little progress compilation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June