White Primrose


6x6", water mixable oil on canvas board, 2/28/15
SOLD

I've been seeing these potted primroses in the stores lately, and I just can't believe it's almost time to be planting flowers again! We've had the mildest winter, and I feel so lucky to have gotten through it with so little discomfort. Still.. I'm definitely looking forward to spring!

This little primrose was a little tricky to paint. I've always found plants difficult to draw or paint--they're just so detailed and intricate... and it's really not clear what they're "supposed" to look like. When I draw a human head, I can clearly see whether it looks right or not--proportions are so obvious in that scenario--but the plant world is a little less uniform, a little less standardized. In ways that's a good thing when you're painting--but for me, it seems I tend to get lost in all the detail and lose my reference point because it's all just more of the same. Anyway, I actually did enjoy painting this little flower, trying to maintain the delicate subtleties of the white against the strongly contrasting dark green. I could definitely use some more practice, but I do kinda like this one (and honestly it usually takes a little while for my paintings to grow on me :)

Also, my husband built these shelves for me today so my paintings can dry safely (instead of haphazardly leaning against windowblinds, etc, ha). I'm loving them already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June