Portrait workshop with Scott Waddell


This is a five-day portrait I did in a workshop with Scott Waddell last week. He's a really good teacher, but it was a huge class (19 people), which made it hard for him to get around and critique, so the week kind of felt like floundering through a new approach. Scott paints with a window shading technique, where he basically finishes one form at at time. It was a foreign way of working for me, but I enjoyed trying something new. I think I prefer a little more context to go on when I'm painting (like, for instance, I started painting the forehead/cheek area, but once I added the dark behind the ear all of my flesh tones suddenly felt too light). These are things I'm sure you would get used to and have a feel for in time. Anyway, progress shots below.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June