Coral pink rose

6x6, water mixable oil on canvas panel, 12/2/15

I don't know why I keep trying to paint these roses--the color is impossible. It's making me think I should start on one of those massive color chart projects to see if I can figure out a way to duplicate what I'm seeing ;) Yes. I should, I should, I should. But I don't waaaaant to. It feels too much like homework ;)

On another note, flowers. And painting in general. I'm starting to realize that it's all about simplification and holding back (hmmm, not so successful with this painting--I got a little stroke happy with those petals). Which before this year was something I would have never really supposed (doesn't it seem like when you look at a very realistic painting, that there is so much detail work?). But for the painter, it's all about leaving things out and only putting what is absolutely necessary--eliminating the details (where possible) and simplifying the scene into distinct masses for the viewer. And that's where the illusion of reality starts to emerge.

Sometimes I get a little frustrated with what I'm trying to do here. A couple months ago I set up an Instagram account for posting my little paintings and such (but mostly just to waste time perusing other people's art), and I've just gotta say that following all these world class artists on Instagram is a bad idea in some ways. It's just too easy to compare and feel like there's no point in what I'm doing (but also very good in some ways. I love seeing everyone's different technique and incredible superhumanism and I'm probably learning a lot by osmosis). But, you know, it's stupid and unfair to compare myself to world class artists when I've really only been oil painting somewhat regularly for about a year ( not counting the 6-week community ed course I took back in 2012, though that is where I fell in love with oil paint). Give yourself a break, Stacy. One day at at a time ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April News

Yellow is not a happy color.

June